Thursday, March 14, 2013

Whipping My Skin Into Shape

I'm back! I'm sorry that I haven't blogged since August. Things have been hectic. Travis and I moved into a townhouse in September and I'm still trying to work out where I want everything to go. I'll get there soon! I hope to post pictures soon as well. Travis is busy studying for school all of the time (poor guy) while I've been busy working. I can't believe that we've been in Des Moines since August! It flew by.

Anyway, today's blog post is, as promised last August (haha), about some beauty tips. I was going to talk about a wide variety of beauty tips, but I decided to narrow it down to a new skin care regimen that I started a few months back and I have loved the improvement in my skin. While I've never suffered from acne, I have suffered from break-outs. This is the skin regimen that I use that works best for my skin. I wouldn't say that you should follow it completely because it really depends on your skin type. I would say that I have normal skin/combination skin (some oily spots, some dry spots), but it also depends on where I'm living. When I'm in Utah, my skin tends to get more dry and when I'm here in Iowa my skin got a little bit more oily. Regardless, there are products here that can be used for all skin types and some that would be better for a specific skin type. You could always mix and match what you'd like to try. I do, however, think that everyone should have their own skin care regimen. It should include something like wash, tone/exfoliate, and moisturize.


1.) Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes in Night Calming (available at any store like Target or Walmart). $6.49. I use these wipes to take off my makeup every night before I shower. You would be surprised at how much makeup doesn't come off in the shower or just by simply washing your face with soap and water. Leaving makeup on overnight is probably one of the worst things you can do for your skin.

2.) Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (available at any store). $7.99. This face wash is so lightweight and refreshing that you might not realize you're even washing your face with soap. It's great for all skin types since it's so gentle. I wash my face with this every morning after I wake up.

3.) Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner (available at any store). $6.49. I apply this to my skin (with a cotton ball) after I get out of the shower. It helps get rid of oil and dirt trapped deep in your skin. I only use toner, however, on days that I don't exfoliate—I don't want to go too rough on my skin. 

4.) St. Ives Apricot Scrub (available at any store). $2.99. I use this on my face about twice a week. It's important to exfoliate periodically so you can get rid of all of the dead skin on your face. However, you definitely do not want to exfoliate every day—your skin could then become extremely dry. Also, like I mentioned in the above product (Neutrogena Toner) I do not use this the same days that I use toner. St. Ives also offers a gentler apricot scrub for those with super sensitive skin. By the way, Target has a great generic brand for this scrub at a cheaper price—it works exactly the same!

5.) Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (available at the Clinique counter in department stores). $25. I use this every night. It is so important to moisturize your face even when you think it doesn't need it. If your skin becomes too dry, then your skin will create more oil to compensate for the lack of moisture on your face. Thus, always use moisturizer to prevent that from happening! I opted for the gel instead of the actual lotion (Clinique sells both) because the lotion would sometimes make me breakout. The gel is not oil-based, so you don't have to worry about it causing you to break out. I would definitely say that this is safe for all skin types.

To recap, here's my daily routine:
(Morning) Wash face with Cetaphil.
(Night) Remove makeup with Neutrogena wipes. Shower. Exfoliate twice/week with apricot scrub. Apply Neutrogena toner on days I don't exfoliate. Let toner dry. Apply moisturizing gel.


Some other great tips:

  • Try not to touch your face too often. I hate when people touch my face. Think of all of the extra bacteria on your hands that would now be on your face if you touched it all the time. . . . 
  • Change your pillowcases and towels often—oil and dirt can get trapped in them.
  • Give your face a break from makeup once in a while. 
  • Use spot treatments with benzoyl peroxide in it (be careful though—that stuff can bleach your sheets and towels!). If I feel a pimple coming on then I dab some of it on and it usually takes the pimple away. I use this whenever I feel a pimple coming on.
What are some of your favorite skin care products? I'm always open to trying new things!

Next post: Cute workout gear. . . . 

1 comment:

  1. Fun blog! I use almost the exact same products. I also use a clarisonic that I got as a gift a year or 2 ago and I love it! I may have to try that Clinique gel, I use cetaphil moisturizer and it seems a bit heavy.

    ReplyDelete